Did a Jupyter Notebook that analyze the UGC application. Last week was a session about K-samsök and UGC was mentioned having Europeana links --> using Jupyter Notebook is an easy way access data and use Pandas to better understand if UGC contains semantics links can add value to Wikidata and the answer is that UGC
- mostly is just telling were an object has been moved --> no added semantic value
- if a runestone is described in a book in LIBRIS
- they still use the old LIBRIS not the new LIBRISXL and it looks like LIBRISXL doesnt link back to RAÄ
- no end users seems to like UGC since 2012 nearly no one has done more than 100 edits...
- to be a semantic solution its far from state of the art with 11 relations compared to Wikidata > 7600 properties
- feels better to see UGC as an layer that connected Wikidata and an object and the semantic is added in Wikidata/ Wikicommons. My feeling is that museums/RAÄ dont attract people skilled in semantics. When we look on others like "Metropolitan Museum of Art" (video) they see Wikidata as the place were we can visualize the semantic and I guess RAÄ and Europeana should have the same approach and go back to the drawing board and redesign UGC and maybe also Europeana with it deficiencies/problems scaling using linked data... as long as museums has a better "business idea" with metadata and don't change the skill matrix we will have see more UGC apps not delivering what they state....
|From Jupyter Notebook|
If we check the mission of UGC it is created for getting user added value and add semantic links in an ... "assignment for an offensive and urgent cultural environment work "
I did gather all records added checked the following
- check if UGC is synchronized with Wikicommon Structured data i.e. if an object in UGC is referencing a picture in Wikicommons and vice versa
- Result negative: did a search on P1260 and found just 200 linking back to K-samsök
- search on P1260 KulturNav ID
link search = 200
- Checking one link we had link root?!?!
- Wikicommon M62862984
- Guess I should do a Jupyter Notebook that check link root in K-samsök see bug reported 20 feb 2019 SamlaLibris Issue 5
"It's not up to K-samsök to redirect/provide stable URIs it's up to each provider to do so. K-samsök has no knowledge of when an object is replaced with another one."
how do I know were I should error report it? Feels odd designed layer and no good helpdesk.... instead of just returning HTTP Status 410 they should add it to a backlog and fix it,....
- RAÄ has no helpdesk backlog, you dont get helpdesk number, RAÄ communicate on social media instead of using dedicated systems so its difficult to error report and track actions and maybe one reason why not more users are active on UGC... see T200248
- search on P7848 Digital museum id:
link search = 166 hits
see also Dataroundtripping Digitalmuseums I guess this property is wrong designed
- search om P1184 the handle system used by Welsh Portrait Collection see also tweet
link search = 4 hits
- search on P727 used by Europeana looks like it is deleted in Wikidata but used on Wikicommons ... we have a WD bug....
link search = 8 items
- check how they link Europeana/ Wikicommons... have they done something adding value to Wikidata and are they updating Wikicommons Wikibase linking back to UGC
- Wikicommons should in structured data have P1280 "K-samsök URI" set and pointing back to K-samsök --> we could start easier to dataroundtrips... see also kulturnav Dataroundtrip thoughts
- Result negative: looks like we just see links to the picture not the entity in Commons
- usage of UGC started in 2012 to get user involvement.... has it been a success or just another try....
- Result negative:
- nearly no users with more than 100 edits in 8 years
- names look like people working for RAÄ that has tested it 10 times and then given up ==> feels impossible to get active users...
- From the Europeana presentation last week about metadata it was not sad anything about the 0 user involvement.... hiding facts like -> not good ...
- If we look on Wikidata started in the same year as UGC 2012
|One RAÄ employee Albin has ==> 91% of all contributions|
My guess its not adding semantic value its more this item is moved to Wikicommons / Europeana
From Jupyter Notebook
|Date added indicates some batch uploads are the majority of activities|
manual users adding is data is very few
From Jupyter Notebook
- the goal is "Riksantikvarieämbetet fick i regleringsbrevet för 2014 ett uppdrag om ett offensivt och